It's Wingbeat's turn at hosting the Scottish Nationals this weekend - 23rd / 24th August 2014.
More information about the nationals can be found here: http://www.shpf.co.uk/scotparanationals.php
It's a friendly / entry level XC Paragliding competition.
"competition" ...is used very loosely, as in "fun competition" with the emphasis very definitely on the fun side. Any task is usually quite simple and is doable by all levels - it is really just an excuse to get people together in a new location.
The event status is currently:
"Green"so we are aiming to go ahead provided it continues to look flyable.
There will be an update on friday night as a final confirmation that things are going ahead.
The initial plan is to meet up where we normally camp at Cacra for 10:00am. (We normally meet at the Boston hall but it's hosting a flower show this weekend).
We'll have an initial briefing there (while people pop up tents if needs be) then off to an appropriate hill for some flying.
Retrieves this year will be on a buddy system. If an XC task is set Wingbeat will NOT BE OFFERING FORMAL RETRIEVES for competitors.
We will try and get initial XC hounds collected so they can then return to cars and go on the next retrieve run. However if anyone is willing to act as retrieve driver (with own vehicle) then it would be appreciated.
The borders can be quite remote so we need to pull together to make sure everyone gets back safe.
What to bring?If you've never been to the area before it's very remote so you'll need to bring all your kit along with...
- Flying gear - batteries charged and radios working if you have one
Radios are doubly importand as there is very poor mobile coverage in the area.
- Camping gear - This is wild camping so bring everything you think you will require for the weekend.
- Seating - A seat of some sort is recommended for round the camp fire.
- Own food and drink for BBQ (and breakfast if camping) etc
- Full tank of fuel in vehicles - There are no garages in Ettrick or Yarrow so you need to fill up in Edinburgh/Peebles/Galashiels/Selkirk/Moffat before entering the ‘valleys’
- Warm clothes for the evening. Looks like it could get cold overnight!
- A good sense of humour!!
- The usual willingness to muck in and help where needed
and finally... the important bit...
Debrief, Camping, fire and BBQ will be at Cacra on the Saturday night.
Tommy is organising the BBQ and initial log supply for the camp fire and craic (hopefully without tears since each log has a name).
If you have any questions about the event please contact us
We look forward to welcoming you to the the borders and flying our sites.
The Wingbeat team.